Monday, November 11, 2013

Talking American Nations on BBC, MSNBC, NPR, others

As I wrote yesterday, my most recent book, American Nations, has gone viral more than two years after it was originally published. Now major media outlets are taking interest as well. Here's a compendium for anyone who wants to follow along:

Yesterday, I was a guest on BBC World Service Radio's Newshour. You can hear the program here, and my segment starts at 44:00.

This afternoon, November 11, I was on NPR's Tell Me More, which you can listen to here. They also created this blog post, which has been mirrored on dozens of public radio affiliates around the country.

Tomorrow, listeners in Greater Los Angeles can tune in to my discussion with Airtalk's Larry Mantle on Southern California Public Radio flagship KPCC. It sounds like it will be at about 11:30 Pacific. [Update, 11/15/13: Listen to it here.]

On Wednesday morning, watch my appearance on MSNBC's The Daily Rundown with Chuck Todd. That should start at about 9 Eastern. [Update, 11/12/13: That's now scheduled for the same time Friday instead.] [Update 11/16/13: Watch it here.]

And for those of you in the Bay Area, start your day with me over at KPFA in Berkeley, the first and oldest listener-supported radio station in the country. I'm scheduled to appear on Morning Mix at about 8am Pacific.

For those who prefer to read, today there's this on American Nations from the (lowbrow) New York Post and this from the (highbrow) American Conservative.

And if you're in western Maine and are totally sick of hearing about American regionalism, come to my live, old fashioned talk at the University of Maine Farmington on the past, present, and future of coastal Maine, subject of one of my previous books, The Lobster Coast. That kicks off Wednesday at 5pm in the Thomas Auditorium, Preble Hall.

[Update, 11/16/13: The media frenzy continues.]


2 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,

    You're geographic analysis of the US is fascinating. Something, however, jumped out at me immediately, & I would like to get your response to my observation.

    I live in northern CA, in Sonoma County in the Left Coast region. I also spent significant portion of my life in almost every other area you identify. In reading your analysis, I immediately went to the Left Coast description, & noticed that you make no mention of the Latino influence in our area. The Spanish, & the Russians to a lesser extent, were here way before the New Englanders & Appalachian westerners. Th Latino influence in this area is utterly profound & unmistakable. Because you completely overlooked this aspect of your analysis, I wonder about the other areas.

    Would love to learn what you think of my observation.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colin, I just had to leave another comment for you.

    Some think the Russians' influence in our area is nothing compared to the Spanish, but the Russians brought liberalism here to our coastal area. They didn't conquer the native people, like the Spanish did. They integrated with the native culture & just lived their lives as a blended society.

    Hey, sorry for the typos & word usage in my previous comment. I didn't self-edit, & I haven't had my coffee yet today.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete